This park was established in 1897 when the University purchased 159 acres and named it Hill Farm. The University Hill Farms neighborhood was conceived as a complete community by developer Oscar Rennebohm which included residential housing, schools, parks, churches, and shopping. In the early 1950s the University proposed that some of the land in the Hill Farms be sold so that new agricultural research facilities could be created outside the city.
In 1958, a 41.6 acre park was purchased from the University of Wisconsin and dedicated to the City of Madison, and in 1988, was renamed Rennebohm Park in honor of Oscar Rennebohm for his legacy and foresight in the development of the Hill Farms area.
Oscar Rennebohm is best known for his successful chain of drug stores. He also served as governor of Wisconsin and on the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents.
Since its founding in 1949, the Oscar Rennebohm Foundation has invested in people and programs that reflect the optimism, enthusiasm and civic obligation of its namesake. The Oscar Rennebohm Foundation provides responsible, committed local organizations with financial support that enhances access to and relevance of education, teaching, research, human services and resources in order to improve the quality of life for everyone in the Madison Community.